Digital Edition on the iPad

Digital Edition on the iPad

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The State of the Archive


Buried in work, tied to our computers for months, we are beginning to see the light! 

We have been working intensely on the Digital Archive over the past few months, and I am excited to say that we are on target for publishing in December!

There was a learning curve with the process and new equipment, but we've overcome the biggest hurdles. Developing these editions is truly an art form in itself.

Here's where we are now for all 176 issues:

Scanning - All done! 
Clean-up - only 5 more issues to go
OCR work - 87 to be made searchable
Multimedia - 142 waiting for enhancements
Finished - 34 ready for testing

I know we are behind with the current digital editions and I apologize for being so late. I intend to rectify that situation as soon as possible.

Our original plans morphed into several revised workflows due to some unforeseen events. Like my computer nearly dying (!) so switching over from a PC to a Mac had to be implemented right in the middle of the project. And the scanning software didn't perform OCR as well as I wanted, so scanning and OCR had to be done in two different steps by two different people. Cleanup was done by another crew, and the addition of links and multimedia by yet another crew. 

But you know what? It's working like a well-oiled machine now. Editions in various stages are completed each day, and it's so rewarding to see the final editions come to life. Years of work, literally at my fingertips now. 

I can't wait to see it in your hands, on your computers, your tablets and phones. 

I know you can't wait either. 

Thank you for your patience, your support, and your faith in us. 

There will be more exciting news to come. Stay tuned!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all your hard work, Donna! I can't wait to see the digital editions.

    ReplyDelete